Book list #3 Christian Living

Here is my longest list of all. I have found new enjoyment in reading books like these that challenge me in my walk with Christ and make me really think. I love learning, and have definitely learned from the books on this list.

Seven by Jen Hatmaker
- This was an interesting read for sure. Over the course of 7 months, Jen challenges herself and her family to significantly withdraw from living the typical American lifestyle of excess. She tackles clothes, shopping, waste, food, possessions, media, and stress one at a time and works to war against the status quo. The number 7 is her go to from the 7 months she takes to do it all, to choosing 7 items of clothing to wear for a month, to only eating 7 different foods for a month (ugh I could never do it lol). Now, I didn't want to take the "7 challenge" after reading it, however it did make me think twice about choices I make and how I take advantage of living a life of excess.

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
- If you haven't heard the story of Corrie Ten Boom, you will be transformed when you read this book. I laughed, I cried, and I will reread this one again and again. This book recounts the story of Corrie and her family as they housed and cared for Jews during WWII and what it cost them. You will be inspired by Corrie's father's faith, challenged by her sister's unwavering kindness and encouraged by Corrie's resolve to pursue forgiveness in the midst of great evil.

Sacred Endurance by Trillia Newbell
- So here is the second book on my lists by Trillia. I actually had the opportunity to be apart of the launch team for this book which was a lot of fun. Sacred Endurance was very encouraging to me. Trillia is so real about what it takes to faithfully endure as we walk with Christ. It was a breath of fresh air and challenged me to reflect and check myself. She gently guides you through what scripture says about enduring and how to apply it.

Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin
- So, this book right here may be my book of the year. I have done a couple of Bible studies by Jen and also listen to her podcast Knowing Faith. She is a fabulous Bible teacher! In her book Women of the Word, she explains why and how we should read and study the Bible. Her methods are simple and the way she explains each step is clear and encouraging especially when considering the intimidating task of reading the Bible. I read this book on my Libby app then immediately bought it on Amazon if that tells you anything. It is a book you need to own!

Rhythms of Renewal by Rebekah Lyons
- This was an enjoyable read. Rebekah does a beautiful job of calling us to healthy rhythms. This book is full of grounded research, scriptural references and practical steps to take toward living not only with less stress and anxiety, but to live a more abundant and peaceful life. She does not point to self-help methods, but to a renewed and fresh love of Christ that propels us into abundant living. I highly recommend this book!

Open Hands Willing Heart by Vivian Mabuni
- I am in the middle of this book and I'm loving it! I heard Vivian on the Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey podcast (a fav of mine) and had to read her book. She has such a wise, compassionate voice that carries over into her writing. Vivian's words leave you feeling empowered and ready to put your yes on the table for whatever story God is unfolding.

Happy Reading!

But you will receive power when the 
Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will 
be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all 
Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
Acts 1:8

Comments

Popular Posts