Three Lessons I've Learned from the Garden

I have always enjoyed working in the yard, specifically in my flower beds. Now, don't get me wrong...I am not a green thumb. I stay away from anything that needs a lot of attention. I do however enjoy trimming my knock out roses and pulling weeds. There is something therapeutic about it. I always find myself thinking and reflecting over things while I work. So without further ado, here are three lessons I've learned from the garden.

1) Pull the Weeds
When you're pulling weeds, it is very important to get the root. If you don't then it will eventually grow back. It's much easier to just break the stem off so you can't see the weed anymore. It makes it look like there are no weeds and that you have a beautiful garden. However, in reality there are many roots just waiting for the opportunity to sprout again. So how does this apply to our spiritual lives? Jesus got all over the Pharisees about only cleaning the outside of their cup and dish and leaving the inside nasty! (Luke 11:39) How many times are we guilty of the same thing? We look the part of the "good" Christian but in reality we have all kinds of nasty things growing on the inside.

Girl, you got to do more than make the garden pretty, you have to pull the roots and make it thrive! Pulling weeds out by the root is messy. My fingernails had all kinds of dirt underneath when I got through. I was sweaty from working outside so long and between that and the dirt, I was stinky. A lot of times the necessary work of rooting out the sin in our hearts is messy. It's uncomfortable, and we will have to get our hands dirty. But the pay-off is lasting!

2) Remove obstacles
I recently noticed a concentration of weeds/grass growing in one spot in my garden. Right underneath the bird feeder. Apparently every time the birds eat, they drop seed underneath which in turn grows all kinds of things that I don't want in my garden. Even though the feeder looks good in this spot, my job will be a lot easier next time if I remove the feeder.

When we are doing the hard work of rooting out sin from our lives, sometimes we need to step back and see if there is anything feeding and helping it grow, then remove those things. Sometimes it is the people we surround ourselves with, sometimes it is the things we watch or listen to, sometimes it is misplaced priorities. So be honest, what are some things that feed the sin in your heart?

3) Feed the Flowers
We also need to help the good to grow. I dead head my rose bushes so they will keep producing flowers. I fertilize my plants to help them grow strong. We need to pour good things into our hearts. Things that will help us grow good fruit. Being in consistent fellowship with other believers through the local church is an important one. Don't feed me the line of "I can worship God wherever I am. I don't have to go to church." The first question I would raise is "Are you worshiping God wherever you are?" Followed by the truth that you need to be in community with other believers in order to grow well. If you want to grow a blueberry bush that produces berries, you must plant more than one. Cross pollination is a necessity for berries to grow.

We must also feed our soul and mind with scripture. How can your faith grow if you don't know what you believe? If you can't answer for the hope that is in you? How can you stand firm against sin without being equipped with truth? You must read, study and memorize scripture. That sounds like a big task I know. Take it in small steps. Just start with reading a little each day. Find a good study plan to follow. I am currently reading through the Bible in a year with the "Bible Recap" plan. I'll be honest, I'm several days behind, but I'm not going to let it stop me. I've been reading the Bible and learning more this year than I ever have. And I'm really enjoying it! As far as memorizing scripture, I have found it easier if I make up a little song and teach it to the kids. That way we both memorize scripture, and doing it through song makes it more fun and memorable. And of course, don't forget to pray. Reading scripture is how the Lord speaks to us, and prayer is how we respond.


So the next time you're working in the garden, take time to reflect on what the Lord is teaching you. Enjoy His creation. Sip your coffee and smell the flowers. And if you happen to see a pesky weed, grab it by the roots!


But you will receive power when the 
Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will 
be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all 
Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
Acts 1:8








Comments

Popular Posts